Thursday, November 15, 2012

Not 'break-fix' by default

I'm a systems engineer.

I'm hard to work with sometimes, and I know it.  I'm working on it.   Never wanted to be hard to work with, always wanted to be good at what I do.

Its difficult for me to make progress in a world that is often operating in 'break-fix' mentality.

I know the way I visualize and model systems is somewhat uncommon.  But there are reasons I profile and model systems in particular ways.  When I learn a strategy that better accomplishes my goals, I'll adapt.

Asking me the question, 'what problem are you trying to solve?' is not always helpful.  Sometimes I am trying to prevent future problems (system best practices, code development and testing strategies, evaluation and intervention based on exposure before an incident). Sometimes I am trying to increase transparency, so that future problems are evident (how can systems be profiled, how can desired outcomes be modeled, what is the motivation of a currently accepted best proactive).  Sometimes, I already know that the problem I am wrestling with is so far in the weeds that if I describe it, I'll get ushered out of whatever forum I've turned to for information (I have to collect and understand corner cases.  Its part of who I am... but also, in my sphere, I'm the guy that gets called when everyone else runs out of ideas.)

So, I'll ask questions.  Maybe I won't give the context to which you're accustomed.  There's a reason for that.  I'm not a developer.  I'm not a DBA (not primarily, anyway).  I'm a systems engineer.  I'm not just concerned about the absence of errors in a sunny day scenario... I need to understand how things break and what to do next.  I'm not just concerned about how fast things get done... I'm concerned about performance reliability and variability... so I can spot issues before there's a complaint.

Sometimes I hear folks talking about the need to get developers and DBAs together.  I agree that'll be extremely helpful.  If server/virtualization/network/storage engineers/admins and systems engineers/architects can also be brought in... I think we might all be able to move forward.

Maybe...

No comments:

Post a Comment